Pretty Bad Things by C.J. Skuse

Pretty Bad Things by C.J. Skuse
Published: 1st March, 2010
Publisher: Chicken House
Rating: YA 13+
Source: Library

"Wonder Twins" on the run--and running amok--in Vegas. Road Trip!

Paisley and Beau are boldface names again. Last time, paparazzi called them the "Wonder Twins," two kids found alone but alive in the woods of exotic New Jersey. Three days after their mom's death -- and before their dad's criminal misdeeds.

Flash-forward to now: Their so-called lives? Suck out loud: Hating on their cougarized, Botoxic grandma, they're totally clueless about the location of ex-con Daddy. Till they discover a stash of old letters. That's when they decide to jack the Pontiac and hit the road. Holding up donut shops in Sin City might seem extreme, but if they can just get their pretty bad faces back on TV -- or TMZ -- they might wrap up their whole gaga saga with an Oprah-worthy reunion already!

I didn't really know what to expect from Pretty Bad Things. It didn't give away too much, I didn't get anything from the first two pages, BUT interesting? it certainly was.

I mean, I first saw the cover and I LOVED it. And then I realised my school library had it (except in the other cover, which I didn't like as much). I grabbed it before one of my friends could (I'm such a nice person right?) and went home and started reading it.
Hmmm...
I really loved the writing. Paisley was hilarious, but I got confused at first at the shift between who was telling the story. I loved that attitude of hers! It made me laugh loads of times. Beau is a nice contrast to his sister; he's quiet, shy and not one for talking. I love that the girl is the loud, spunky one and the guy is solemn, soft spoken one :) What a difference from most books!
I loved the setting of Vegas, and it seemed so vibrant, just full of life, and the perfect setting for a long-lost dad and a crime shopping spree. I've never been to Vegas, but with the author's writing I felt transported to this setting. I could really feel like I was there. I love it when authors can do that.
However, I did find the Grandma...kinda weird and crazy. I mean, I think that the book was really funny as well with the Grandma in it, but I think it might have been a bit too extreme. I mean, true, this is fiction, but who's Grandma is really like that? Crazy and just a bit too obsessed with herself and money. Creepy.
I noticed that in the beginning of the book there was the note from the publisher. She mentions that the main character in The Catcher in the Rye is kinda like Paisley. Is that true? I have no idea, since I haven't read the book, but people out there who have: Is it a book worth reading? I might consider it :).
Overall, I think Pretty Bad Things is a...different outlook on life and troubles, especially family troubles. C.J. Skuse has written an amazing, funny, and "touching" book of what life's like...on the wild side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!