Crystal Bones by C. Aubrey Hall

Crystal Bones by C. Aubrey Hall


Published: April 5th, 2011
Publisher: Marshall Cavendish
Series: The Faelin Chronicles, Book 1
Rating: YA/MG 12+
Format: ARC
Source: Sent from Publisher
AmazonGoodreads Website


Stay out of sight. Avoid strangers. Don't tell anyone who we are or where we come from.


Diello and Cynthe have always believed their parents' rules are too cautious. The twins expect things to be different on their thirteenth birthday. Their mysterious Fae mother has promised them that today they'll be given their magical gifts, and they're planning to sneak off to the village fair. But nothing goes right. The magic isn't what they hoped. Their human father won't let them out of their chores. They're forbidden to attend the fair and sent on an errand instead. 


Then the day turns deadly as Diello and Cynthe are plunged into a lethal game of cat and mouse with old enemies of their parents. Suddenly there are secrets upon secrets to unwind. Who is friend and who is foe? And what have their parents been hiding?




**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy). The final text may be different!**


Crystal Bones is a faerie book unlike any I've ever read or heard about, I'll tell you that.


Now, I know, I HATE saying this, but most faerie books I've read have been more...pro-feminine. Female lead character, romance and cute guys, long-lost faerie princesses etc. etc. But THIS book, the main character's a guy AND it's about faeries...cool, eh? and the best thing is, he's got a twin! Who's a GIRL! So this book is ideal for all genders, as it's got a bit for everyone :).
I found that they story starts off a bit slow...but then, BOY! does it pick up with action real fast! It all really starts off at the errand. So if you, like me, find the beginning a bit slow, DO NOT, and I repeat, NOT put that book down! You won't know what you'll be missing. It kinda gets sad though, later on. I found myself kinda depressed at this part, because honestly, who wouldn't?! It's just shortly after the errand...you'll see what I'm talking about.


I found that the plot twisted and turned, and included quite a lot of new events, which was really epic. There were several scenes, new characters, problems and different things throughout the book. 
Diello is the quite twin, the more understanding, thoughtful one, while his twin, Cynthe is the louder, more rash twin. I found that I couldn't really pick between twins 'cause the both have their strengths and weaknesses. I found their sister Amalina SO adorable!! :D
The Gor-Goblin Brezog is pretty terrifying and I had nightmares about him after I read the book...he's really creepy, take my word for that! I love the new additions to the team, the wolf pup (adorable!) and Scree...who'll come around the end of the book.


I love the fact that these twins are hated across for being half-Fae, half-human and it really brings a sense of wanting to belong, and longing for family and other very touching topics. In these faerie books, they are unwanted (opposed to the usual thing of books with Fae where they're accepted by their own kind) and it incorporates different mythical and magical creatures (some which I've never heard about) and really opens up to different emotions and moods.
Interesting thing about the "Crystal Bones" thing. It only really comes in one part of the book, but it's saying that their bones are "crystal bones" but they wish they were just normal humans or fae as they don't want to be hated by so many people. Just a thought that came to me now.


Overall, Crystal Bones is a fantastic new addition to the genre of Fae and mythical creatures. Hall's writing is one which MG and YA alike will love and bring a sense of "classic fantasy" which brings so many memories of fairy tales and folklore. Loved it! Can't wait for book 2.


**Thank you so much to Marshall Cavendish for sending me Crystal Bones for review!**




If you like this, try...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!