Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs


Release Date: May 1st, 2008
Publisher: Puffin
Series: Oh. My. Gods., Book 1
Rating: YA/MG 12+
Format: Paperback
Source: Borrowed
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


When Phoebe's mom returns from Greece with a new husband and plans to move to an island in the Aegean Sea, Phoebe's well-plotted senior year becomes ancient history. Now, instead of enjoying a triumphant track season and planning for college with her best friends, Phoebe is trying to keep her head above water at the berexclusive Academy. If it isn't hard enough being the new kid in school, Phoebe's classmates are all descendents of the Greek gods! When you're running against teammates with superpowers, dealing with a stepsister from Hades, and nursing a crush on a boy who is quite literally a god, the drama takes on mythic proportions!
Well, where to start?



I really loved Oh. My. Gods. it has everything I love! Romance, wicked humor and twists and Oh! don't forget, Greek Mythology.
Have I mentioned how much I love Greek Mythology? Because I can’t seem to get that out there enough. LOVE IT. I would literally live and breathe this, if I had a choice (too bad “mythology” isn’t a subject at school). Tera Lynn Childs’ mixing in Greek gods and myths into Oh. My. Gods. is a fabulous exploration of different stories and events in Greek history, with famous figures and of course, the ever popular “demi-gods” to make everything more mythical and magical.

Pheobe was a pretty cool character. I loved her snappy (and funny!) comebacks, her confidence and of course, her choice in guys. One question though. I know, of course with this book it's important, but what's with all the main girls in books today obsessed with running? That's just a question I'd like to ask.
Nicole was a cool friend, but I don't really remember too much about her in particular except for the part where she and Griffin have some past issue which results in them (now) hating each other. I LOVE TROY! Team Troy all the way. Griffin may be hottie mchotness but Troy is so much better. He's so cute :D
And now with every good, there is always an evil. Adara and Stella. Two words: HATE THEM. They seriously put the 'mean' in 'mean girls'. I would be scared to be anywhere near them. They're terrible people!

Most of the book was pretty fast paced and kinda predictable as to what happens. The Nicole-Griffin thing seemed really quick and was mentioned throughout the whole book...and then ends up finished in like, a 2 minute speech. Yeah...kinda weird.
What I really didn't like about the book, was probably the mom. Talk about fast paced. This woman meet's a guy in 6 days and decides to get married to him, and oh no, it doesn't stop, drags her daughter halfway across the world to live in Greece. Seriously?? And I believe the mom is a therapist. Looks like she's creating more traumatic experiences rather than trying to cure them! 
But I liked the husband (kinda forgetting his name...). He was quite fair and not to mention, pretty attractive sounding. Maybe that's why the mom fell for him? No idea.

Overall, Oh. My. Gods. is a definite read for those who love Greek heroes and gods, adventure and a little bit o' romance. This is my first Tera Lynn Childs' book, and I'm looking forward to reading more of her other books soon. Can't wait to get my hands on book 2 of this series, Goddess Boot Camp!
If you like this, try...



Other Covers:

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I thought this sounded really cute but I haven't gotten it yet. Totally agree about girls running, such a bizarre trend but it's in like every book!! and yeah the mum's romance sounds...weird! thanks for the review =]

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved this book too! I thought is was great. Her other series is very good to. You should give Forgive My Fins a read. I liked it as much as this, if not more. Have a great weekend!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review - I also LOVE Greek Mythology! I'm doing a unit on it this semester for my arts degree :)
    I love YA with greek myth in it, it makes it THAT much more fun to read. :)
    thanks for the review! this ones definitely going on my tbr. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!