Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Release Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Series: Of Poseidon, Book 1
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.

I have never found a mermaid book before so funny, intriguing and that made me claw for more. Of Poseidon was one of the only paranormal books I read this summer, but my gods, I devoured each page, no, each word, inhaling this magical and magnificent story in. It was, quite literally, bewitching. Maybe it was the gorgeous yet simple cover, or the promise of Syrena and romance, but I was enthralled with this novel from start to finish.

I loved the characters. This is one of the only novels where I've practically loved ALL the characters. I mean, they all have some flaws (well, the human ones mostly) but nonetheless, it was a great cast.
The story alternates between the perspectives of Emma and Galen. I found this interesting, as both of them are trying to figure out different things. Emma's side is discovering who Galen really is, and Galen's side is trying to figure out how Emma could be one of them.

Emma was a great MC, I really loved her narration and grew as frustrated as her with her conflicting feelings for Galen. But one big no-no which I didn't enjoy about her was the yelling. Gah, that was annoying. Her temper really threw me off, even though it was entertaining at times. But I mean, who could yell at poor (and totally hot) Galen? Which brings me to the other main character...
Galen! Um, hello? He's super sexy! I found myself swooning during his narration, desperately drinking him in, soaking in him. I'm sold when it comes to Galen, I'll tell you that. It was adorable as he tried (and emphasis on tried) to fit in with the humans, and whenever Emma pushed him away I was like, "Hi! I'm available here!!". Seriously, girls, you're gonna love him.

Rayna is Galen's sister, and even though I didn't like her at first, I came to love that stubbornness of hers, and I gotta give her props for playing hard to get. She was a great supporting character, one which when in a fight with Emma becomes totally hilarious. And Toraf! Another swoon-worthy guy. Galen's best friend and Rayna's betrothed. I love his determination– trying to make Rayna fall in love with him. It was funny to see him try to win her affections.

One thing that I find missed out in mermaid and sea-creature books is the world-building. I'm a sucker for gorgeous descriptions, and the world of the Syrena was beautifully developed. Anna Banks sure had me with the mentions of the caves, the two "clans" and the transformation from human to Syrena and vice-versa. You definitely don't want to miss out on it.

I really mean it when I say I want Of Triton, the sequel, NOW. I'm desperate for more Galen! Of Poseidon was absolutely riveting. I couldn't put it away– my eyes were glued to the screen, snarling at anyone who interrupted me. One of my favorites for 2012, I'll tell you that. This debut will not disappoint and will keep you engaged with romance, humor and of course, hotties who can swim.


If you like this, try...




10 comments:

  1. I have this one on my shelf. I read a few chapters before buying it and thought it sounded funny. I'm glad to see I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so good :) I already read some positive reviews about it and I can't wait! Mermaids are really my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree with everything you sad in you review. I loved it, it was so much fun, and can't wait for the sequel, too :) And Toraf & Rayna? Awesome secondary characters :) Have you read the prequel Legacy Lost? That one was great, too :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this book!!!! I think I gave it four or four and a half. I love Galen, but not just because he's hot and nice and whatever. All of those things are great. But, he's a more likable character than Emma (love the names by the way!). I found Emma a little distasteful sometimes (NOT often). I agree about the world-building. Sometimes I felt like things were thrown at me, and I was like what? But still. I can't wait to read the next book(s)!!!! Thanks for the review!!!!

    Alyssa Susanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a little on the fence with this one until I read your review. It sounds wonderful and I love the two points of view. I'm adding it to my list:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any mermaid book, of course except "The Little Mermaid", because I doubt if I would like them. Reading your review made me change my mind. I love your swooning over Galen. I think I'd be like that,too,once I read the book. This will definitely on my to-reads list. Great review!^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really surprised that I enjoyed Of Poseidon. I usually dislike mermaid books. But as you said, the characters were all amazing and the world building was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a story with shark in it, ehmm I'm intrigue, nice review made me want to read Of Poseidon and any other mermaid story ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. My niece gave me this book to read and at first I wasnt sure how i would like a mermaid story. But I loved this book, i found myself just needing to read one more chapter till the book was over! awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!