The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

The Lifeguard by Deborah Blumenthal

Release Date: March 1, 2012
Publisher: Albert Whitman & Company
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

It's an unsettled summer for Sirena. Back in Texas, her family's splitting apart, but here in Rhode Island, at the cottage of her free-spirited aunt, it's a different world. There are long days at the beach and intriguing encounters with him. Pilot. He's the lifeguard with shamanic skills. He both saves her and makes her feel lost at sea. Sirena explores her obsession with Pilot and discovers his mysterious--almost magical--gifts.

Covers can be totally misleading! I thought this would be a "summery" book, like you know: the beach, boys, romance– the works. And to be honest, I was really looking forward to a book about summer. However, while this book had the beach, yes, and a boy, yes... it ended up being something that I didn't expect.
The Cover – Oh gods, the cover. Absolutely. Yummy. Obviously, I was intrigued and my mouse automatically went ahead and requested the galley. Who wouldn't, with a cover like that?

I didn't like Sirena much, it was all too much of an emotional roller coaster with her. I seriously do not get the drama she faces in her oh-so-unhappy world, and it just annoyed me. The Guy – Pilot was (like the cover... and I'm assuming he is the guy on the cover) yummy. I was longing for beaches because of him. Living in Singapore, that should be too hard, but still! You don't get lifeguards like him around here... *sigh*. But he was my favorite character, although, I didn't get his soft-spoken nature. I thought he'd be much better off more open and inviting or something, but oh well.
Antonio was an interesting character. He introduces the more supernatural (yes, it ISN'T a typical beach read) elements to this story. I liked his character as well, and of course, his bear-like dog, Edna! (and Will is adorable too :D)

What I didn't really like was the plot though. I thought this would be more contemporary, but nope, supernatural was totally thrown in there. This didn't bother me too much, but it was the "jumpiness" of the plot that did. It went all over the place! Only until around halfway through the book did it finally make sense and actually follow some sort of storyline.

Even though this probably wasn't the best book I've ever read, you should still give this one a try! Definitely not your typical beach read, but still, interesting enough to make you finish the book.


If you like this, try...

1 comment:

  1. If you like this, you should definitely check out RING OF ENDLESS LIGHT by Madeline L'Engle. Lots of romantic tension, but it's a bit more grounded in reality, with great character growth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!