Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Speechless by Hannah Harrington

Release Date: August 28, 2012
Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret.

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.

After reading Hannah Harrington's Saving June, I've fallen in love with her writing. She manages to make an absolutely gorgeous story, while still making it so easy to read and relatable to teens. I always manage to connect with her stories and her characters, and that's something I find that comes up with each book (well, the two I've read so far) that she writes.

I was slightly reminded of Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, because of the silence that Chelsea lapses into, after the big secret she blurted out to everyone. Melinda and Chelsea both have similar characters, and I'm pretty sure this is part of the reason I ended up loving her character. 
At first, for like probably the first couple of pages, I absolutely hated Chelsea. She was the most superficial person and I just loathed her character. However, I started to change my opinion– and pretty quickly at that. I loved that she had a conscience, and stood up for what was right. As she was silent throughout the whole novel, it was funny to read her thoughts and her reactions towards the different people she interacts with. She's super sarcastic, and such a great main character. Her emotions came through so clearly, and like I said before, it was just a fabulous experience to connect with her character.

The other characters were fantastic as well. There was the super sweet Asha– I love how Indian girls are becoming apart of YA now days  It's still a small majority, but with this book and Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer... I hope this trend continues, because they seriously (and I'm not being biased, being Indian and all) add that extra special sauce to the story. And of course there's the absolutely scrum-dilly-dilly-dumpcious SAM. *Swoon* I fell in love with him from the moment his name was mentioned. He's so kind and adorable and loveable and I could probably go on and on and on, but seriously– AMAZING.
I really loved Chelsea's parents as well. That's kind of strange, because generally in YA fiction the parents are usually the ones that the reader ends up hating. In Speechless, Chelsea's parents just so adorable. Her dad's just hilarious and loveable, and while her mom was a bit hard on her at first, she became extremely nice and understanding. I just in general enjoyed the contrast between the two of them.

I also thought the setting was really significant in this novel as well. I loved the sound of Rosie's. It reminded me of Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald. The whole atmosphere of the restaurant and how Chelsea's character grows, and the relationship between her and Sam deepen– it was such a central part to the story.
I was also really thankful when reading this book, because reading about the high school in this book made me appreciate how safe and tolerant the school I currently attend is. Speaking out for LGBT, especially for what happens to Noah and Andy. I think that books like these are really important, because it practically gives a voice to those who are always the victims.

With a fabulous conclusion, Speechless was funny, sweet, powerful and moving. I enjoyed reading Hannah Harrington's sophomore book, and I'm sure every book that's to come by her will be as engrossing. Loved it!


If you like this, try...


▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

2 comments:

  1. Asha is an awesome character! I liked how much Chelsea changed over the course of the book - yay for character development!

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asha was so lovely-while I enjoyed the book as a whole, I have a special love for her character.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!