Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

Heartbeat by Elizabeth Scott

Release Date: January 28, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?

When it comes to Elizabeth Scott's books, I would read any of them in a heartbeat (pun intended). I've already read so many of them – The Unwritten Rule, Stealing Heaven, Between Here and Forever, Living Dead Girl and Something, Maybe. I'm so glad that I got the chance to read Heartbeat, because it was amazing. I loved it. It was so honest, and an emotional roller-coaster from start to finish.

Okay, I understand why people didn't enjoy the book because of Emma's character. I thought she was a bit too harsh towards her step-father. However, I thought that the emotions that her character goes through are so believable, and really epitomizes the true essence of young adult fiction, because I could see why she would be that upset and why she would say those things. I mean, sure, it was sad how she treated her step-father and it may get a little over-the-top at some parts, but it's still understandable. 
Dan: definitely one of the sweetest father figures EVER. While I did like Emma's character, I felt so sorry for him with her yelling at him constantly and pushing at him that he never loved her mother. It was really sad to see him have to deal with a step-daughter who hated him. 
I don't think I've ever talked about the love interest second to another character (other than the MC). Oh well, what can I say? I have faith in Elizabeth Scott's love interests (HELLO, Finn from Something, Maybe), and Caleb did not let me down. Reminded me of so many of the bad boys in young adult fiction with good hearts, and I loved his story and how much he could realte to Emma. I felt really bad for him because his parents were AWFUL people, and I knew there was more to his angry exterior. Olivia was another really cute character, and I love how close she is to Emma, and how our main character could always rely on her.

Heartbeat kind of reminded me of Between Here and Forever, because of the mother and where the main character meets the love interest– it's quite similar in that respect. Otherwise, I thought this was an original read. I loved the Q & A at the end of the book with the author, and thought that it was interesting how Scott came about writing this book and it's topic – I've never heard of it happening in real life (she does say it's rare for this to happen), but I'm glad i got the chance to read it. To be able to put oneself in a character's shoes in a situation that's you've never previously experienced is the main reason why I love reading, and Elizabeth Scott's writing captures the feelings and the actions of the characters so realistically.

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again: Elizabeth Scott is definitely a Queen of Teen Fiction. I love everything she writes, and pretty sure I will with her future works as well, because she puts so much heart into her words. I was so moved by Heartbeat. It's lyrical and heartbreaking, having the right amount of everything. I'm eagerly anticipating her next work!

If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. I adored this book too-of course I'm a total Elizabeth Scott fangirl so no surprise there! Excited to see another rave review of her work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you so much for this wonderful review. I just love this book to death. Thanks for sharing. Underrated Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!