Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland

Promise of Shadows by Justina Ireland

Release Date: January 13, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Pansing
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
Goodreads Website

Zephyr Mourning knew she wasn’t a very good Harpy, but she never thought she would be a murderer. 

She’d rather watch reality TV than learn forty-seven ways to kill a man, she pretty much sucks at wielding magic, and she was prepared for a future pretending to be a normal human instead of a half-god assassin. But then her sister was murdered–and Zephyr uses a forbidden dark power to save herself from the same fate.


Now Zephyr is on the run from a punishment worse than death when an unexpected reunion with a childhood friend changes everything. It seems that Zephyr might just be the Nyx, a dark goddess that is prophesied to shift the power balance. For hundreds of years the half-gods have lived in fear, and Zephyr is supposed to change that.


But how is she supposed to save everyone else when she can barely take care of herself?

I saw this one AGES ago but I never did get my hands on a copy. Until now. I’m seriously happy I got Promise of Shadows for review because I absolutely loved it. The beginning took me a while to adjust to, in terms of getting an idea of what exactly was going on, but omg–it’s been such a long time since I’d read a book focused on Greek mythology that met modern day (so... urban mythology?). The last book I read focused on this sort of stuff was Fleeced! but that’s aimed at younger readers, so all in all: a YA book that involves Greek myths? It’s practically been a lifetime since I’d read one last. Anyway, back to the main point at hand. THIS BOOK? So beautiful. So dark. And I loved it SO much.

I liked that our main character Zephyr, also known as Peep (which is the most adorable nickname ever), wasn’t the typically strong and flawless main character portrayed so often in young adult fiction. She’s definitely quite flawed and is the kind of person who would rather run than fight in most situations. However, her snappy and sarcastic attitude annoyed me sometimes. I didn’t really enjoy her bursts of anger and quick judgement upon others. Tallon’s got the same problem–both these characters are hot-headed. Otherwise, I totally love them! All the swoons for Tallon, trust me. This book had such an interesting and diverse cast of characters. Blue was a sweet character, and Cass probably had the most interesting background story EVER. I’m grateful that romance wasn’t a big part of the story and instead of spending ages reading about a girl pining for a boy every second of the day, we got a story of a girl with a clear plan in mind that didn’t revolve around said boy.

I am tossed and turned in a sea of pain and rage and disappointment. I reach out, attempting to wield some of my own forbidden power. For a single shining moment the darkness abates, reluctant to hurt me. But it’s pointless. The orbs quickly begins devouring me again, Hades’s intent pushing it forward. My abilities are nothing compared to his, a raindrop trying to attack the ocean.
I surrender to my punishment, going limp as the dark energy tears me apart atom by atom. My last thought before I lose consciousness is relief.
At least I finally know how I die.
–p. 57

This book contained several new mythological terms that were new for me. I think most of them were made up, since I searched up characters such as Ramun Sol and nothing popped up, but there were a few things that I didn’t know about previously. What I love about YA books that allude to mythology is that I always end up learning something new or end up yearning to learn more about the subject. Several things in this book–erebos, vættirÆthereals–had me curious to know more. 

Promise of Shadows was a seductive and thrilling ride with a touch of well-timed snark guaranteed to make readers laugh. Justina Ireland brilliantly weaves fiction and myth to create a truly unique story. Delightfully dark and filled with jaw-dropping twists, be sure to pick this one up as soon as you possibly can.

▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Sasha at Pansing for sending me a copy for review! ▪ ▪ 

If you like this, try...

3 comments:

  1. i LOVE greek mythology, so i like the sounds of this book! it's interesting that this is told from the perspective of a harpy though, since they're typically considered the bad guys in most books, so it will be cool to see the book from her POV. glad you liked it so much! great review!
    http://www.wholly-books.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds awesome and I love some good snark!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to like this one - but I didn't! It was just okay but no impressive at all to me. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book :D

    Excellent review!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!